Mercy High School of Michigan
More than 16,000 women are graduates of Mercy High School in southeastern Michigan. Since 1945, when it opened as Our Lady of Mercy High School in northwest Detroit, its graduates have embodied the school motto: "Women Who Make a Difference." In 1965, the school moved from its original building on the Mercy College campus to a mid-century modern building 11 miles away in the Detroit suburb of Farmington Hills. The school was established by the Sisters of Mercy, a Roman Catholic religious order with 6,200 sisters worldwide. Among its graduates are luminaries in the arts, medicine, sports, business, government, and military service. The Mercy Marlins sports teams have won numerous state championships in swimming, basketball, hockey, softball, lacrosse, golf, and other sports. This book commemorates Mercy High's 75th anniversary and reflects the impact of "Mercy Girls" on their communities, country, and around the world.
Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters of Michigan
Since 1845, along the River Raisin in the southeastern Michigan town of Monroe, the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) have distinguished themselves as educators, activists, and Catholic pioneers. At the congregation's peak, the motherhouse dispatched nearly 1,600 nuns to more than 100 schools across metropolitan Detroit and several states. For 175 years, the sisters taught the three Rs and the meaning of faith to nearly 700,000 students and established important metro Detroit institutions such as Marygrove College, Immaculata and Marian High Schools, and St. Mary Academy. Widely known by their initials, the IHMs have extended their reach worldwide. Monroe IHM members have served in key roles at the Vatican, as leaders of organizations representing Catholic sisters in the United States, as missionaries in Third World countries, and as groundbreaking activists and theologians. The Monroe IHMs today also attract lay women and men who dedicate themselves to the congregation's values and goals by becoming IHM Associates.
Blessed Solanus Casey
Whenever there was a knock at the Capuchin Monastery door, Fr. Solanus Casey answered. The Capuchin friar's prayers brought comfort and healing to visitors he greeted at friaries in Michigan, New York, and Indiana. On September 12, 2012, inside St. Bonaventure Monastery in Detroit, where Casey's remains are interred, a miracle happened. Minutes after a pilgrim knelt at Casey's tomb, signs of her lifelong genetic skin disease disappeared. Pope Francis declared the healing a miracle, and nearly 70,000 people filled a Detroit football stadium on November 18, 2017, for Casey's beatification ceremony, when the Catholic Church honored him with the title of "Blessed." The Wisconsin-born Casey, a onetime prison guard who died in 1957 at the age of 86, is now one step and one more miracle away from becoming a saint. The photographs in Blessed Solanus Casey illustrate the arc of his life and legacy, including images from his early years and ministry to the poor, of those who say they have been healed by his prayers, and of the stirring Catholic rituals accompanying the friar's path to possible sainthood.
Detroit Gesu Catholic Church and School
In a reconfigured farmhouse just a mile outside of the city limits of Detroit, a Jesuit priest and 25 men, women, and children gathered to celebrate Sunday mass on March 19, 1922. The Reverend John McNichols named the Catholic mission church Gesu, the Italian word for "Jesus." Gesu became one of Detroit's landmark parishes. Its history illustrates the Motor City's boom, bust, resilience, and resurgence. It was the home parish of four Detroit mayors, powerful members of Congress, auto industry titans, sports legends, artists, authors, and actors. At its peak in the mid-1960s, Gesu School enrolled 1,600 students. Because of Detroit's decline and its racial and economic struggles, Gesu is one of only four Catholic elementary schools that remain in the city. But as Detroit rebounds, Gesu School is growing again.